Prathma (First Year) - Practical
(1) Exercise in Bharata Natyam.
(2) Practices in all adaus in three Kalas.
(3) Drishti, Griva and Shirobhed.
(4) Sapta Taal and Pancha Jatis.
Prathma (Second Year) - Practical
(1) Hastas : Asamyaukta, Samyukta.
(2) Nadai Adaus.
(3) Alarippu Tisram.
(5) Tala Knowledge of seven Talas in 5 Jatis with Clapping.
Prathma - Theory
(1) Origin of Indian Dance in Mythology.
(2) Tehcnical terms used in Bharata Natyam (Nitra, Nritya, Natya).
(3) General Introduction to the four main Classical dance forms in India.
(4) Basic Knowledge of the South Indian Tala System.
(5) Introduction to Abhinaya Darpan.
(6) Contribution of the 4 brothers (Chinish, Ponniah, Sivanadan, Vadivelu) to Bharata Natyam.
(7) Ability to write all the bols and talas learnt according to the Sounth Indian Notation system.
madhyama - Practical
(1) Hastas, Asamyaukta, Viniyoga, Pada, Bhedas, Mandalam.
(2) Sabdam 1
(3) Padam 2
(4) Tillana 1
(5) Kirtanam 1
Madhyama - Theory
Revision of the portion of the previous course.
(1) Brief study Natya Shastra pertaining to dance.
(2) Basic knowledge of the North Indian Talas.
(3) Broad acquitance of the story content of Mahabharat and Ramayana and the place of Dance in it.
(4) The different schools of Bharata Natyam.
(5) Introduction to the Origin and History of Bharata Natyam.
(6) Definitions of the terms – Tandava Lasya in Bharata natyam.
(7) Life sketches of Rukamani Devi, Bala Saraswati.
(8) Ability to write all the talas ad bols learnt according to the south Indian Notation system.
Visharad part i - Practical
(1) Devata Hastas, Jatiya Hastas, Bandava Hastas.
(2) Kirtanam or Javali or Padam 1
(3) Kshetriya Padam or Ashtapadi (Jaideva) 1
(4) Varnam 1
(5) Slokam 1
Visharad part i - Theory
(1) Explanation of the term Abhinaya and its four parts.
(2) Comparative study of the four main classical dance forms in India.
(3) Broad outline of the history of Indian Dance (Chola Pallava period).
(4) Stories of the dance of Shive (Tandavas).
(5) Study of Nava Ras.
(6) Comparative study of the Tal system of North and South India.
Visharad part iI
(1) Dashavatara Hastas and Navgraha.
(2) Kavutwan 1
(3) Jetiswaram 1
(4) Shabdam 1
(5) Javali or Padam 1
(6) Kshetriya Padam or Ashtapad 1
(7) Tillana 1
(8) Slokam 1
Visharad part Ii - Theory
(1) Comparative study of Abhinaya Darpan and Natya Shasta.
(2) Devadasi cult in Bharata Natyam.
(3) Dance of Krishna (Ras Lila and Kaliya maradan).
(4) Nayak and Nayuika Bhed in Indian Dance.
(5) Renaissance in Indian Dance.
(6) Detailed study of the origin and history of Bharata Natyam.
(7) Introduction to the other relatively lesser known classical dance (Bhagwat mela, Yakshagana and Chou).
(8) Ability to write all the bols and Talas learnt according to the South Indian Taal system.